“There are larger ERP providers with huge customer bases – but no one better understands the SMB (small/mid-sized business) space than SYSPRO. SYSPRO enables us to see exactly where our business is, analyze and change business processes and become more competitive. Beyond that, there is the ‘company intangible’ of always feeling like we have a true partnership with SYSPRO.”
– Phyllis Durmire, Director of IT, VonDrehle Corporation
VonDrehle Corporation manufactures and supplies towel and tissue products for the ‘away-from-home’ market, which includes hotels, res- taurants and a wide variety of commercial establishments. In addition, the company manufactures and buys ready-made paper dispensers, providing customers with the ability to order complete paper dispensing systems.
Manufacturing locations and warehouses are located in Memphis, Tennessee, and Maiden, North Carolina (NC). The company also oper- ates a paper mill in Rockingham, NC, and a ‘converting’ facility in Las Vegas, Nevada.
VonDrehle fills approximately 2,750 orders each month from a roster of about 400 customers.
In 1997, the company initiated a search for ERP software to facilitate growth, achieve green goals, manage costs, co-ordinate manufacturing and warehousing sites, implement digital dashboards and provide in- depth visibility into operations. SYSPRO was selected based on the broad functionality of its Financial and Manufacturing modules.
A primary consideration in seeking new software was the ability to co- ordinate all company locations under one IT umbrella. In this manner, updated data on inventory movements, shipping processes and other transactions would be readily available to all system users. By implement- ing a bar coding solution and tying it into the ERP software, the company believed that not only could superior inventory tracking be achieved but also more rapid order turnaround.
Towards this latter goal, the company also wanted the ability to pinpoint finished goods inventories at the various company sites. Moreover, by providing the ability for customers to place orders directly into SYSPRO via EDI (Electronic Data Interchange), the company felt it could add to its reputation for superior customer service .
The following is a partial listing of SYSPRO ERP modules used by VonDrehle and the functions each enables the company to perform:
- SYSPRO Cash Book allows optimal and efficient cash management by providing system-wide bank reconciliation information on cash inflows and out-flows.
- SYSPRO General Ledger facilitates the management of corporate performance and the monitoring of return on investment by providing complete enterprise-wide financial recording, analysis and reporting from all aspects of the business. It integrates seamlessly with all other modules in
- SYSPRO Inventory software enables effective customer servicing and improved profits by providing superior inventory control that optimizes stock
- SYSPRO Purchase Orders is an integral part of the distribution and manufacturing functions and enables the monitoring of the quality, accuracy, lead times and costs of purchases while providing comprehensive supplier performance
- SYSPRO Sales Analysis provides accurate manage- ment information relating to sales activity in order to improve sales profitability and provide facilities for sales forecasting and planning at customer and product class
- SYSPRO Sales Orders enhances customer service through fast, efficient order processing and ac- curate, timely order fulfillment while maximizing sales through instant access to information about stock availability, prices and possible
- SYSPRO Bill of Materials facilitates an accurate ex- pected cost against which to track actual produc- tion costs. The complete bill forms the basis for material and capacity planning, shop floor control and costing. You can create and maintain a model of your manufactured or assembled products as well as generate what-if costing
- The EDI process speeds the turnaround of orders and enhances customer
VonDrehle primarily markets its paper products in the US via a sales force consisting of only 15 people. The company uses recycled waste paper for all its products, earning it a green seal of approval. SYSPRO has greatly enhanced the competitive stance of VonDrehle. Be- cause the software enables the company to streamline production and reduce costs, VonDrehle is in the enviable position of being able to under-price its competition.
SYSPRO also gives management access to highly infor- mative data. The software produces a variety of reports that give management insight into financials, inventory levels and other operational statistics. In addition, the soft- ware has enhanced worker productivity because each can easily customize the software to access only the specific information required to best perform his/her job.
After working with SYSPRO software for more than 10 years, Phyllis Durmire, Director of IT for VonDrehle, notes: “In my opinion, SYSPRO is the best operational software for small and mid-sized manufacturers that want to take their busi- nesses forward with the ability to react quickly and effec- tively to market dynamics.”
She adds: “There are larger ERP providers with huge cus- tomer bases – but no one better understands the SMB (small/mid-sized business) space than SYSPRO. SYSPRO ERP software provides richness and value to companies like ours. It enables us to see exactly where our business is, analyze and change business processes and become more competitive. Beyond that, there is the ‘company intangible’ of always feeling like we have a true partner- ship with SYSPRO.”